Skip to main content

No Mystery Here



"I have sometimes been wildly, despairingly, acutely miserable...but through it all I still know quite certainly that just to be alive is a grand thing." - Agatha Christie

Boy, Dame Agatha knew more than how to poison your neighbor, kill the cook and inspire one's little grey cells (said in my best Hercule Poirot voice.)


Being alive is a grand thing.

I'll admit it freely. I truly dislike whiners. You know the type. People who go on and on about their problems. 


Once I knew a woman who had survived breast cancer back when suffers readily succumbed to it. As my beloved mother had been one of those, it was a particular touchy subject with me. Yet, despite a full recovery never did Mary express joy, much less gratitude, of her extended life  Within minutes of meeting a new person she would state her former cancer status.


Folded newspaper clippings of breast cancer statistics regularly pulled from her wallet served to embarrassed, bore or both those readers she subjected them too.


Doom and gloom was a matching set, which followed her everywhere.

I suggested to her daughter getting her mother to speak to a therapist would be beneficial. It met with a negative response.

Lovingkindness was not at the root of my response when Mary opened her wallet for the fourth time. 

"No." I announced emphatically. "I've had enough."

Her widened eyes and naively mouthed "what?" only served to further annoy me.

"I am sorry you had cancer." I continued. "But, 'had' is the operative word. You survived it. You have a good job and the opportunity to see your grandchildren grow. Many like my mother, were not so fortunate." 

Snapping her wallet shut, her face resembled a Mount Rushmore granite bust.

"You are alive. Can you not celebrate that?"

She refused to speak to me the rest of the day and within months I lost the friendship with her daughter. From others I learned Mary's modus operandi never improved.

Now as a cancer sufferer myself, I truly recognize how dangerous such a negative attitude is.

Yes, cancer is a bitch! 

It hurts sometimes to the point of screaming. It makes you a mess from hair loss, scars and disgusting bodily functions that can change in minutes. Sleep is lost or needed in seemingly excessive amounts. Costs can eat up lifelong savings as well as diminish family and other relationships once relied upon.

However, given the alternative of dying...I'll take cancer.

Each day I awake, sometimes in great pain, but listen to the birdsong. It means I've survived. What that day holds is often a mystery. 

Not to be lived as a conundrum of bleakness, but rather in simple joy and deep gratefulness.

I am alive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blasting the Blahs Away

What was causing my blahs? For almost a day, I felt them building. Mine usually start with being bored. I allow moments of boredom as I do to fears and tears. It is natural for what I am going through right now. But I know to grow concerned when my usual coping methods fail to straighten my course under typical time allowances. This was the case on Monday. I made a list of possible concerns: Was it the upcoming end of my chemo sessions? My tenuous housing situation? Having had to give away my car or even just the seeming endless rain? I finally settled on the most recent dreams where my late father played a starring role. The last member of my family, his death in 2011 had released him from great physical pain. Any and all nastiness he had thrown at me during the last two decades of his life were purposely forgiven as I chose to concentrate on blessings he had bestowed. Not as easy task, I admit, but necessary to move me forward in a positive light. The answer came

Controlling Your Cancer

We all have this power. regardless of our individual circumstances. Stay strong.  🌻 🌻 🌻

Only thing we have to fear

“ Only thing we have to fear… is fear itself.” With those words, President Franklin D. Roosevelt calmed a panicked nation and set a very high bar for future Inaugural speechwriters. Sometimes fear is an emotion that sneaks up suddenly and works fast to incapacitate. This photo represents is one of my earliest experiences. I’m not the kid, but that is the old Cyclone roller coaster once a main attraction of the legendary Palisades Park. Located across from Manhattan on the New Jersey side of the Hudson River it was constantly advertised on summertime TV, comic books and on radio by iconic 60’s DJ “Cousin Brucie”. I begged, pleaded and cajoled for years to go. Finally, at age ten my dream came true. We arrived at twilight as the temperatures diminished along with the entrance fee prices. New York’s epic skyline twinkled from the east. Did we start on calmer rides to get acclimated? Hell, no not with my father. Never one to “baby” me because I was a girl, we left