Skip to main content

Brightening Others's Lives


Recently, I was asked if I was filled with anger at the direction my life has taken in the recent past.

Honestly - no.

While I wish the physical and financial difficulties were non-existent, I realize this period is meant to serve some good purpose.

What exactly I have yet to fully discover.

But the other day, I got a small hint.

While standing in line, an unknown woman, in her 60's, came up to me and asked, "what do you have?"

Now aside from my peach fuzz noggin and needing my hiking stick to balance a bit, I am fortunate not to look ill.

"You have cancer don't you? I have metastasized breast cancer, and I'm dying."

Weird way to continue a conversation.

It seems she was having a panic attack about leaving her adult children.

"I cry for days at a time, don't you?"

Finally, I was able to speak.

"I allow myself time to cry and feel scared, frustrated or whatever,but it is limited to minutes not hours."

"Oh, you sound so healthy in how you are handling it all."

After assuring her I was far...FAR...away from being canonized as St. Linda I shared a treasured quote from Neil deGrasse Tyson

"It is the knowledge that I am going to die that creates the focus that I bring to being alive. The urgency of accomplishment. The need to express love -- now, not later. If we live forever, why even get out of bed in the morning? Because we always have tomorrow. That's not the type of life I want to lead."

Perhaps, I suggested, by focusing on quality of time she has with her children and not the quantity might be more beneficial.

Grabbing my hand she started crying. I cried and around us people just stared.

After several moments we bid each other the best and departed. Still strangers, as we have never shared names. but stronger in knowing another person understood part our predicament.

Reflecting on the experience, it became clear that all of us have the ability to brighten someone else's life just by sharing a bit of their pain or panic. Push past the fear of looking foolish and focus on the love for fellow human beings.

You'll be amazed at the power you possess.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Never Forget

Controlling Your Cancer

We all have this power. regardless of our individual circumstances. Stay strong.  🌻 🌻 🌻

A Chance to Meet Ayya Jayati

I'm passing this along for anyone who can travel to France 03-08 August and is a Buddhist or has an interest in it. My dear and wonderful friend Ayya Jayati will be speaking.  I got to know her very well when she was living/teaching at a vihara in the same Northern California town as me. Her warmth, vast sense of humor and calming wisdom are a delight. When chemo stole my hair, she joked that we had the same barber. (Buddhist nuns are bald.) She is back in he UK, but we email and speak often. She is a definite part of my healing team. I am unable to travel then, but if you do get to meet this lovely woman, be sure to tell her you are one of my "Cancer Tumor Humor" buddies.