Skip to main content

The Kindness of Strangers

The kindness of strangers is so important in my life right now as I maneuver about in a place where physical friends do not exist and a lack of a car makes life a challenge.
Last evening arout 6:45, I was walking the 1/2 mile to the FDR Home, here in Hyde Park. I've walked it a number of times, but for some reason I resumed my title of "Prima Ballerina at the Klutz Ballet."
My left foot caught the lip of the uneven asphalt and after stumbling and unsuccessfully trying to catch my balance with my hiking stick...down I went.
Sprawled over the shoulder, as I sat up to take inventory, four cars, on both sides of the road screeched to a stop.
These four strangers picked me up and stayed as I surveyed the damage.Scraped knees, hands and an aching wrist where it could have been so much worse. One man took me down to the FDR, where a documentary presentation was waiting. As we parked he handed me a small first aid kit and said 'keep it.' It enabled me to clean up, and bandage myself properly to enjoy the film.
Later, with flashlight in hand, I started walking home, but two elderly women stopped and offered a ride.
I returned home, a bit more banged up than when I left, but with a heart rejoicing at the kindnesses shown.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Controlling Your Cancer

We all have this power. regardless of our individual circumstances. Stay strong.  🌻 🌻 🌻

Brightening Others's Lives

Recently, I was asked if I was filled with anger at the direction my life has taken in the recent past. Honestly - no. While I wish the physical and financial difficulties were non-existent, I realize this period is meant to serve some good purpose. What exactly I have yet to fully discover. But the other day, I got a small hint. While standing in line, an unknown woman, in her 60's, came up to me and asked, "what do you have?" Now aside from my peach fuzz noggin and needing my hiking stick to balance a bit, I am fortunate not to look ill. "You have cancer don't you? I have metastasized breast cancer, and I'm dying." Weird way to continue a conversation. It seems she was having a panic attack about leaving her adult children. "I cry for days at a time, don't you?" Finally, I was able to speak. "I allow myself time to cry and feel scared, frustrated or whatever,but it is limited to mi

Worry wart?

Worry,  nervousness, apprehension or  uneasiness - regardless of the word used the emotion surfaces in all cancer patients. It should as our bodies are assaulted through the disease itself, the treatments and/or those treatments' "side effects." However, if you are just centered on it and expect me to send you emojis depicting hugs and kisses - forget it. As is well-documented  worrying is not beneficial to your fight.  It lowers your immune system.   Don't need that, especially if you're on an immunotherapy regime. It negatively affects your short term memory. Hello, hasn't chemo screwed enough with your mind?  Premature  coronary artery disease heightens Cancer already offers chances to hurt your heart. Why better the odds? This is not like a horse race where the odds play in your favor. Instead, fi nd something constructive to do.  Garden, tap dance, take up the harmonica or just sit in your driveway and wave at