Skip to main content

The Nippy Noggin Club




One thing rarely mentioned on cancer support groups or other sites is how cold one’s head and ears can become from a lack of hair.

I come from a family of mostly men. At various ages all experienced follicle challenges. But even those who showed more skin than hair, never mentioned being affected by the big chill.

Not me.

It seems everywhere I go my nippy noggin comes along.  Admittedly, when summer temperatures soar in the high 90’s feeling even a hot breeze across my naked scalp is nice. However, just the mildest of air conditioning has me scrambling for cover.  

Never a hat person prior to this latest challenge, I am now. A series of baseball caps and a wide-brimmed sun hat are typical daytime outdoor attire. Inside I cover up with felt and cotton beanies while singing the praises of the crafty volunteers who kindly donate their stitchery magic to my cancer care unit.

Last week I was caught short.

Having fallen and scraping up my hands and knees a trip to the ER was necessary.

This required hours of waiting in an exam room where meat could have been hanged next to the medical apparatus. Reaching into my knapsack dismay followed upon the realization I had no head covering with me.

Luckily, most hospitals now offer delightfully warm blankets. I received two and arranged the first over and around my naked head and neck. Seeing my image in a mirror laughter erupted. I looked like the elderly version of the Virgin Mary in an absurd production of the Nativity play.

Should you find yourself a member of nippy noggin club too, find comfort that you are not alone. Gather hats and scarves of varying styles, patterns and textures. Think of this as a new outlet to demonstrate your individuality and find pride in it.

Still shy?

Take heart in the words of Dr. Suess, the author who know a little about cats in hats.

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Controlling Your Cancer

We all have this power. regardless of our individual circumstances. Stay strong.  🌻 🌻 🌻

Brightening Others's Lives

Recently, I was asked if I was filled with anger at the direction my life has taken in the recent past. Honestly - no. While I wish the physical and financial difficulties were non-existent, I realize this period is meant to serve some good purpose. What exactly I have yet to fully discover. But the other day, I got a small hint. While standing in line, an unknown woman, in her 60's, came up to me and asked, "what do you have?" Now aside from my peach fuzz noggin and needing my hiking stick to balance a bit, I am fortunate not to look ill. "You have cancer don't you? I have metastasized breast cancer, and I'm dying." Weird way to continue a conversation. It seems she was having a panic attack about leaving her adult children. "I cry for days at a time, don't you?" Finally, I was able to speak. "I allow myself time to cry and feel scared, frustrated or whatever,but it is limited to mi

Worry wart?

Worry,  nervousness, apprehension or  uneasiness - regardless of the word used the emotion surfaces in all cancer patients. It should as our bodies are assaulted through the disease itself, the treatments and/or those treatments' "side effects." However, if you are just centered on it and expect me to send you emojis depicting hugs and kisses - forget it. As is well-documented  worrying is not beneficial to your fight.  It lowers your immune system.   Don't need that, especially if you're on an immunotherapy regime. It negatively affects your short term memory. Hello, hasn't chemo screwed enough with your mind?  Premature  coronary artery disease heightens Cancer already offers chances to hurt your heart. Why better the odds? This is not like a horse race where the odds play in your favor. Instead, fi nd something constructive to do.  Garden, tap dance, take up the harmonica or just sit in your driveway and wave at